Information for Ward Staff
Ward staff can help the Hospital School by:
- encouraging mobile children to attend schoolroom lessons from 10am - 12 and 2.00 -3pm;
- informing the School of long-stay patients with special educational needs;
- informing the School of preplanned long-stay admissions;
- inviting the School to attend psycho-social ward rounds, when appropriate;
- including a visit to the School on the orientation programme for new ward staff;
- including the name of a patient's home school, and any special needs, on the hospital admission form;
- accompanying patients to school and picking up from school, where necessary;
- taking responsibility for the medical care and safety of their patients in the schoolroom.
- ensuring that any appropriate infection control information is communicated to the School on a daily basis.
The Hospital School will help wards by:
- allocating a named teacher or teaching assistant;
- teaching in-patients according to the School’s Admissions Policy;
- attending relevant psycho-social ward rounds;
- contributing to assessments or reports when requested;
- regularly updating the School noticeboard on the ward;
- accompanying children back to wards at the end of lessons, where possible.
Please do phone the School (x 8269) if you have any concerns or queries.